Friday, November 28, 2008

Traditions

I love this time of year for so many reasons. I love the emphasis on Christ, gratitude and blessings. I love holiday lights and all the decorations. I also love this time of year because of traditions. In keeping with tradition in our family, after coming home from breakfast, we turned on the Christmas music and let the decorating begin! I started with unwrapping the Nativity set I bought in Israel. I love getting this out every year and setting it up. I had William and Sophia help me and I explained each piece as we took it out.



Next, we worked on the tree. Dave and I put hooks on the ornaments and let Will and Sophia have at it. Eventually, Will just bypassed the hangers and stuck the ornaments directly on the lights. Sophia, however, was meticulous and very deliberate with the placement of her ornaments. By the time they were done, the tree was very heavily decorated, but only up to about 3 feet high. Once they took their nap we rearranged things and put some ornaments higher on the tree.






My little helpers (notice only the lower half is decorated).
We have several other Christmas traditions in our family, most of them on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. I'll post about them another time. I'd love to hear some of your traditions!

3 comments:

Tif said...

Too cute! I love this time of year and having young kids just makes it all the better!

Jordan and Shannon said...

Ahh man! I sure had my fingers crossed that people would comment on some traditions they have in their families. Not that our lovely Adams Family didn't have any, but it is always fun to hear what others do and incorporate new things, especially for us new families. Anyhow, there is a church website that I love called sugardoodle.net and some gal had her blog connection on their that seemed dedicated to Christmas. I don't know how age appropriate her activities would be for your kids, but it sure looked like she put forth great effort to share her ideas. Her blog was wwwlsofiaschristmasideas.blogspot.com.

alison said...

I love your way of unwrapping the Nativity and explaining each piece to the kids! We bought little nativities for the kids to play with and it is soooo cute to hear them retell the story from their perspective. One of our favorite things to do is visit the Christmas village in Ogden City. They have a really neat light parade, Santa and lots of muscial performers in the evenings. The Village is so fun and the kids love to see the life size Nativity there!