Sunday, October 12, 2008

Potty Update

After a few days of toilet training, I drafted a post stating how well things were going. Clearly, I never posted it. Sophia learned to keep her pants dry really well. I was so proud of her, doing everything (including cleaning her toilet) all by herself. She hadn't however, mastered pooping in the potty. On Friday, things came to an abrupt halt. She just seemed nervous and anxious so I asked her if she needed to go to the bathroom and she freaked out. She was so out of sorts that I asked her if she needed a diaper (we had only been using underwear during the day). She said, "I can poop in a diaper, right"? I said yes and then changed her. She promptly threw up and then pooped in the diaper. I cleaned everything up and then she pooped again. The poor girl was so stressed out about pooping that she had made herself sick! I felt so bad for traumatizing her. So, for now she wears pull-ups. For us, it's a good compromise. She still needs to keep them dry and use the toilet, but she now has a place to poop where she feels comfortable. We'll work on pooping in the toilet another day. Sorry for the graphic post, by hey, the potty is the main topic of conversation at our house these days.
Here's a picture of Sophia wearing the gown she earned for learning to use the toilet. She was promised a crown when she learning to poop in the potty. It may be a while before she gets that.


Many have asked, "Is it William's turn"? Not yet, that kid seems very content to sit in his own filth. I'll wait until he's more motivated. They make diapers that fit 8 year-olds, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two out of my three potty trained kids had the peeing thing down but needed the security of a pull up for number two. Eventually they feel safe enough. I can't believe she worked herself into throwing up! Can you say dramatic? =-)Nice job though! You survived so far.

Hope said...

We had major drama with both Halle and Wyatt regarding the ol' #2 (Halle moreso than Wyatt). I won't bore you (or gross you out) with details now, but if you ever wanna hear the stories...

Good luck. I've decided potty training is all about patience and time. It just takes TIME. Here we are 11 months after we started with Wyatt and he's only recently become "reliable" to do both numbers. Hang in there.