Thursday, May 28, 2009
Looking for a Good Read
Dave and I are leaving for a short work retreat in Moab in a couple of weeks. Thanks to a gracious mom and mother-in-law, we are leaving the kids behind. So, I'm envisioning hours of reading time! I love a good book and would love recommendations. Nothing ultra sappy, slow or grotesquely long. Something that would fit well into a long weekend. Your suggestions, please!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Have you read "JANE EYRE"? I know it's long, but if you're like me, once you get into a book you don't put it down. Well, if you don't put it down, you could read it in about 5 hours. It's also less dark than the other Bronte sisters' books. Next, if WWII or Holocaust stories interest you (survivor stories of hope), there is a book called "YELLOW STAR". Technically it is a long children's book (MUCH older children, obviously) but it seriously is amazing...it's a quick read and so inspiring. Not the depressing kind of WWII book. I know it sounds like an odd choice, but trust me on this. And finally, I haven't finished it yet, but I'm reading "WEDNESDAY LETTERS" and so far I love it. Enjoy your literary weekend!
I just finished reading "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins and I thought it was great. I couldn't put it down and I thought about it for days after I finished. The premise is a little disturbing, I will admit, but I think you would like it. Check out the reviews on Amazon and see what you think.
I loved "Snowflower and the Secret Fan." You can see a review here: http://www.lisasee.com/snowflower.htm
It wasn't to heavy, but very interesting. I love to be submerged in different cultures.
I also love anything by Charles Martin. Always a easy, eloquent read. You will not be disappointed.
I recently read "The Book Thief." Excellent, on the NYT bestseller list.
One of my all-time favorites is "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz. (I think there is another book by this title). A true story about a mans escape from a soviet prison camp and his 3,000 mile trek to freedom. Not very long but very inspirational. Fantastic! You can see more reviews here:
http://www.allreaders.com/topics/info_8275.asp
I own it (I think Fred does too). You are welcome to borrow it.
Have fun!
Heather the only book I have read in the past few years is pride and prejudice. I am not much of a reader but I loved it. I hope you find something great for your trip.
My suggestion..."Everybody Poops"! Sorry, but you mentioned that you loved Dan in Real Life in another post, and I just loved it when he suggested that book. Hope you have a fun time and you know I am the last one to ask for a good read so instead you got sarcasm!
Post a Comment